Cross-filtering makes it easier and more intuitive for viewers of dashboards to interact with a dashboard’s data and understand how one metric affects another. With cross-filtering, you can click a data point in one dashboard tile to have all dashboard tiles automatically filter on that value.
Multiple cross-filters can be created at one time, and cross-filters can be used in conjunction with standard dashboard filters.
Enabling cross-filtering on dashboards
- Make sure you have the Manage Access, Edit access level for the dashboard. This means, make sure your report is saved in your Personal folder.
- Enter the dashboard’s edit mode by selecting Edit dashboard from the three-dot dashboard menu.
- Click Filters in the blue toolbar at the top of the dashboard, and enable the Cross-filtering switch.
- If the dashboard contains any unsupported visualization types, a pop-up window indicates that the dashboard contains tiles that cannot initiate cross-filtering. Click OK to continue.
- Click Save in the dashboard toolbar.
Creating cross-filters on dashboards
Once cross-filtering is enabled on an instance and a dashboard, you can create cross-filters.
- Click a data point within a tile containing a supported visualization.
For bar, column, line, area, scatterplot, and pie charts, you can also click the chart legend.
- The tile creating the cross-filter highlights that data point and greys out all other data points. All other data tiles will be filtered by the value of that data point. The cross-filter field and value appear at the top of the dashboard for reference.
- To add an additional value to an existing cross-filter, hold down the Command (Mac) or Control (Windows) key on your keyboard while clicking on additional data points or legends.
- The tiles filter on the additional value as well. The additional value for the cross-filter appears at the top of the dashboard.
- To add a new cross-filter, click another data point on any tile containing a supported visualization type. All tiles filter by that cross-filter as well, and an additional field and value appears at the top of the dashboard.